Our Faith Community
We are a diverse congregation of approximately 350 people located in SW Portland, near the village of Hillsdale. St. Andrew's was founded in 1953. Some people who worship at St. Andrew's live in the neighborhood; others live in other parts of Portland and its suburbs. They come as families, couples, extended families, and individuals. We are newcomers and old-timers and everything in between. All of us desire to be part of a faith community, to grow in our spiritual maturity and knowledge of God.
As Presbyterians, we consider ourselves first of all, Christians, that is, people who follow Jesus Christ. We also identify ourselves as a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and a member of the holy catholic (universal) church. Our roots reach into the 16th century with the reformation teaching of John Calvin and Martin Luther - the central tenet being that "God alone is Lord of our conscience."
The Presbyterian Church was first organized in the United States in 1707, and several offshoots developed over the centuries since. In 1983 the two main branches of Presbyterians in America reunited to form the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).